Send to program

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Sep 10 18:49:32 EDT 2012

I got pretty good at it, way back when developers who really believed in it made their documentation fairly usable. The trouble with Applescript is that you are entirely dependent on the really sparse, often wholly inadequate or incomplete app dictionaries (if there even is one), and on public forums. The syntax one app uses to access data, may not be exactly the same in another. Some support enumeration (working with multiple instances of an object as opposed to only one at a time) and other do not. Some apps only partially support a library. Trial and error, mostly error, is what is in store for you if you want to script an app.

Working through all of that is a long, long row to hoe for even a seasoned developer, and is IMHO the primary reason that Applescript was not more widely adopted.

Bob