[OT] EULA and legality

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Sep 9 12:23:26 EDT 2012

Shawn Blc wrote:

On Saturday, September 8, 2012, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> I would venture to guess that Apple's justification for not allowing
 >> purchasers of OS X to run it on hardware of their own choice is that
 >> the price of the Apple-branded computer effectively subsidizes part
 >> of the cost of the OS.
 >
 > BS.  Nowadays there's no need to subsidize a product
 > (software/hardware).
 > Companies only do it to draw attention and potential gain.

I suppose that's a possibility, and I can't claim to have sufficient
knowledge of Apple's internal costs to be able to say.

But in all fairness, the price of OS X is a fraction of the price of
Windows.

Given that Microsoft is able to amortize the R&D and marketing costs of
Windows across some 87% of computers while Apple must amortize across
only ~10%, and that Apple has higher margins than Microsoft, if the
purchase price of the OS alone were to be seen as fully covering the
vendor's costs we would expect Apple to charge many times more for its
OS products than Microsoft does.

Most of Apple's Mac money comes from markup on hardware.  The average
price of a Mac is roughly double that of a PC*.  Sure, they spend a lot
on expensive fabrication for their laptop cases, but most of the
internals are off-the-shelf components, the same CPUs, GPUs, RAM, audio
and network chipsets, etc. that other PC vendors use.  Even with their
expensive fabrication, their price on the hardware provides them with
the highest margins in the industry by far.

Given that they make so much money on hardware markup and price their OS
so much lower than Microsoft who depends on OS sales alone, it seems
reasonable to suggest that some of the unusually high hardware revenue
is offsetting the unusually low OS revenue.

If anyone here has had the time to go through the shareholder details
Apple provides which may suggest otherwise, I'd be interested in any
data which shows that this view is incorrect.  It may well be, it's just
a hunch, but from what little I know it doesn't seem particularly
outlandish.

*
<http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/24/apple_may_make_more_profit_selling_one_mac_than_hp_does_from_7_pcs.html>

--