[OT] EULA and legality

Colin Holgate coiin at verizon.net
Sun Sep 9 10:31:52 EDT 2012

I actually don't mind the fact that Apple runs itself as if it was a business. When I worked there (1987-1992) there were a few lay-off occasions, and an ongoing rumor about being merged with Sony or IBM. There was a joke at the time: "question: What would you call the company if IBM and Apple merged? answer: IBM".

Then a few years later things were quite dire. Each time something like this would happen it was possible to imagine a future where you had to give up your preferred way of computing. The same would be true if Microsoft went under, for Windows users, but there's rarely a case where Microsoft were in danger of collapse.

The reason I was never a fan of Windows isn't because of a subtle difference in the way the OS works, it's because I don't like to do things just because everyone else is doing that thing. I would rather use something based on its merits. As such, I don't really like that everyone automatically gets an iPod or iPhone, just because everyone else does. Now, Apple's hardware and software is pretty good, and so is worth having, but not just because everyone else has one.

About the $20 to upgrade to Mountain Lion, I suspect that doesn't fully pay for the development of OSX, and that's with Apple just having to support a handful of computers. Imaging their costs if they had to support every conceivable PC configuration.