[OT] EULA and legality

Colin Holgate coiin at verizon.net
Fri Sep 7 15:20:28 EDT 2012

Can't really answer your questions, but I've had a similar situation in the other direction. In order to use Vista on my Mac I had to buy the Ultimate version. At that time only the Ultimate version came with the permission to use on virtual machines. So, it's the same deal as with using OSX on virtual machine, except that Apple don't have different versions of the OS, where one version comes with permission to use on virtual machines and another doesn't.

The price of Windows Vista Ultimate was higher than the cost of many PC systems, that came bundled with the Home edition.

So, the concept of there being a license that states whether you're allowed to use it on virtual machines isn't Apple specific, but at least there's an expensive solution for doing the same with Windows.