a little unicode help

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at me.com
Tue Oct 30 12:32:16 EDT 2012

Mark,

Here's a selection of my code. It really is quite simple.

I first retrieve the text from the native text input control:

put mobileControlGet(myInputID,"unicodeText") into tUserName

This user name then gets saved to a SQLite database. Then the user name is placed in a LiveCode field using:

set the unicodeText of field "name" to tUserName

This works if I use the Russian keyboard to enter text (I've just been using Russian, btw; I imagine the same problem would occur with any language). However, if I enter a name using the English keyboard, it doesn't work. The LiveCode is either empty or, in some cases, it will display the first character only.

I think the breakdown is in saving to the database. It seems like SQLite's unicode conversion may not be working correctly. But I tried a uniDecode() when saving to the db, and a uniEncode when retrieving, and that didn't seem to make any difference. Have you ever dealt with this before? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for you help,
Chris