[OT] New ChromeBook

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Sat Oct 27 01:02:58 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:

> It's beyond me why anyone would. Do you know anyone who would go out of
> their
> way to get version 1.0.0 of anything that didn't start with an "i"?

There was an earlier, higher priced version of it so I don't think it's
really v1.

> LiveCode won't run on it.

You can't write LiveCode apps for it.

I'm kinda looking at this as an alternative to an iPad or Android tablet
but a couple of hundred bucks cheaper, so with that in mind, LC won't run
on a those devices either. True that I can't write LC apps for it but I
wasn't planning on doing that.  But if I was I could use any of
the available tools to develop web apps for it , RealStudio for example.

> It runs Google OS.

It's got an ARM processor.

Don't know enough about either of those to judge if they are bad things,
that's one of the reasons for my original post.  I use a lot of Google
products and like pretty much all of them so I expect I'd be OK with the
Google OS.

> I think it's a hardware version of a web browser.

Pretty much.  I guess I'm trying to figure out if it would work for me when
I'm traveling for straightforward web browsing, email, playing some music,
perhaps reading an eBook as an alternative to an iPad/Android tablet  but
with a real keyboard.

Pete