Long pauses, again

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 14:36:30 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>> On the closestack, it's watching the clock on the screen when I start and
>> when the stack window finally goes away.
>

> That'll tell you how long it takes, but not what's eating up the time.

I've got the cRevGeneral masked out, and can now see that it goes
first to closeStack request (and is there instantly.

I step through, and there are no more messages, and it sits on the end
closeStackRequest for the better part of a minutes, then to the empty
closeCard handler (where the orange pointer hangs around positioned
halfway between the end and the next line, and then to closeStack
(which executes quickly).

So my delay is between end CloseStackRequst  and on Closecard, with a
smaller one after end Closecard.

I'm *hoping* not to get involved in a heavy hunt, here--there is
nothing that is *supposed* to be happening; I'm just closing a stack
without *any* processing (This is a "get out my sight, you're done",
not a "hey, finish up!")

Hmm, and putting

  lock messages
  close stack "output"
  unlock messages

into the closeStackRequest handler makes it lightning fast.

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462