[OT] Apple shrinks

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 14:31:52 EDT 2012

On 10/25/2012 08:50 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:
> Teaching in Bulgaria (?) as you do, one would think you might recognize English as a non-native language.

Funny you should write that.

Yes, of course I do.

However, I also know that there are very many non-native speakers of
English who can write
really very good English indeed.

I also know, as a speaker of extremely bad Bulgarian, that to attempt to
write anything serious
in a foreign language one, first of all, achieve a high level of
competence in that language.

I would never try to write anything of any real seriousness in any
languages other than my
native language. Even trying to tell parents that little 'Twinkletoes'
has been skiving off on the homework brings tears to their eyes; and
whether that is shame at their kid's laziness (unlikely) or
suppressed laughter at my crappy Bulgarian (likely) it is hard to tell.

That article attempts to say serious things with an incredibly low level
of competence in
English that quite a lot of the sense of the article is obscured.