[OT] Apple shrinks

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Oct 24 10:16:31 EDT 2012

Richmond wrote:

> I, being a crafty type, have solved this problem; I have a tatty-old,
> second-hand Pentium IV in every
> place I am likely to spend any length of time, and have just revived my
> Macintosh Powerbook 180
> for when I get really desperate and cannot control myself until I get to
> a stationary computer.

You're a trend-setter, Richmond:

One of the ironies of the so-called "post-PC era" is that I find myself
running into a growing number of people who are rediscovering their
desktop computers.

Laptop sales overtook desktops in 2003, providing the portability people
needed more than raw horsepower.  That portability was so important that
a majority of customers are willing to pay much more for less
horsepower-per-dollar than their desktop counterparts.

But these days, most computer users also have smartphones, the one
computer we always have with us.

Tablets are fun, but they can't fit in a pocket (even the new 7" would
require some pretty large cargo pants pockets <g>), so those lugging a
tablet around in whatever carrying case they use still have their
smartphone with them as well.

Over time this prompts some of us to ask, "Why am I carrying a second
Internet device with me when I already have my phone?"

With things like the Macbook Air weighing almost the same as a tablet,
since either needs a carrying case why not take the one that has more
power, more RAM, offers the unmatched precision of a mouse, and runs all
your work apps?

Some are answering this in an entirely different way:  the smartphone is
the portable device, and when they need a more powerful computer they
can get far more bang for the buck with a desktop machine.

I doubt this will be a dominant trend, but I'd be surprised if we didn't
see at least a modest uptick in desktop sales by mid-2013.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World