Explicit Variables again

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri Oct 19 00:32:56 EDT 2012

Richard-

> Remember that LiveCode is dynamically compiled - the only copy of a
> script stored with a stack is the source copy, not any tokenized
> version.  So whenever you open a stack, as part of the unpacking its
> scripts are dynamically compiled - and that's when the compilation error
> will occur.

OK - I see the difference. I've never considered turning explicitVars
on from the message box. The message box is a weird enough critter
that I wouldn't be surprised by unexpected consequences (OK - I
realize that's an oxymoron, but I can live with that). But I've had
explicitVars enabled from the preferences menu for years and never had
a problem. The IDE stacks are notoriously not explicitVars-safe, so
you'd expect there to be issues with them if there were any problems
with running in mixed mode.

The only "issues" I've had are when trying to compile someone else's
stack, plugin or no, that doesn't have declared variables.

> PS:  Sorry about being over-sensitive about the "trolling" thing. I've
> known you for enough years that I should have been able to expect
> nothing more than good humor from you.  I'd just had a complicated
> morning; thank you for replying so gracefully.

Not a problem on my end. Sorry about the unintentional slight. And
sorry about your morning - mine was weird as well. Sunspots? UFOs?

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net