Help with ampersand in xml

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Thu Oct 18 17:31:25 EDT 2012

Chris,

In theory you can't have ampersands in XML because it assumes it is an
entity. You can try using & but it shouldn't work because XML is not
HTML. I will tell you my dirty trick for dealing with ampersands. Its a
very boring trick.

TRICK #1:

I replace every ampersand with something like:

  replace "&" with "#AMPERSAND#" in tXML

This way, the XML routines work just fine and when presenting some data
that may contain an ampersand, I replace the "#AMPERSAND#" back.

This is a tedious trick but it works, there is also trick #2...

TRICK #2:

Add & to your XML entities with a declaration with <!ENTITY ... >.

Those tricks really depend on the parser. IIRC LiveCode uses libxml2 which
is a pretty good and standard parser. It may allow you to replace your &
with &

Cheers
andre

http://www.andregarzia.com -- All We Do Is Code.