Linux interference

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 12:29:56 EDT 2012

On 10/18/2012 04:50 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Finally got back to my Linux box - turns out the log in question is:
>
> /var/log/dmesg
>
> It may be a red herring, but as the DBus log it would seem a
> reasonable place to start looking for interapp conflicts.
>
> If you don't see anything there that seems useful, you may want to try
> strace or some other tool to log interactions between the apps and the
> kernel.

I trawled through both dmesg and dmesg.0 and found no references to
'Evolution', "RunRev' or 'Livecode'.

I should like to reiterate my intitail posting, which was a request for
other people to try to reduplicate what I found on 2 machines running
UbuntuStudio (12.04 and 12.10 Beta):

Recently, doing a spot of Beta-testing for someone, I ran across
something odd
with Linux, which I have subsequently confirmed myself.

'Evolution' Personal Information Client and Livecode standalones don't
really like one another.

Personally I think Evolution stinks, and had only installed the thing
to test something out for somebody else. However it does seem to be
installed as default with most GNOME-interface based Linux distros.

When a Livecode standalone is running (confirmed for LC 4.5 - 5.5) if
one tries to launch Evolution
the computer freezes and/or crashes.

If one uses a dock such as Avant Window Navigator the standalone comes
up as an instance of
Evolution rather than itself.

Richmond.