Unpopularity of global variables - why?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Oct 15 18:09:27 EDT 2012

Scott Rossi wrote:
> I understand the intention of your suggestion, but aside from using
> setProp/getProp, what object properties *cannot* be set during locked
> messages?  Has a reason ever been put forward from RunRev for why custom
> props cannot be set/read while messages are locked?
>
> It seems to me that the current behavior has only been a behavior for some
> technical limitation in the engine, not because of a scripting need.  But
> this is totally a perception on my part.  Otherwise, I'm all for *some*
> (ANY) method for enabling custom prop setting/reading during locked
> messages.

I don't know why the current situation is as it is, so my suggestion for
allowing a flag to make getProp/setProp immune to message locking was
aimed primarily at backward compatibility.

I guess the logical question for the community is:

How many of use have scripts that rely on the suppression of getProp or
setProp via lockMessages?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World