strace

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Oct 13 18:37:27 EDT 2012

At my local Linux User Group meeting this last Thursday the main
presentation was on strace, which I had previously known nothing about
but now find it fascinating.

strace lets you log calls between a given application and the kernel,
with a variety of flags to govern the formatting of the output.

I can imagine times when this may be useful in submitting bug reports on
the Linux LiveCode engine.

Have any of you Linux fans found strace useful in tracking down engine bugs?

If so, please feel free to post the BZ# here or in an email to me
offlist, along with any details you want to provide, and I may put
together a brief tutorial on using strace for the LiveCode Journal site.

TIA -

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World