[OT] Where ill conceived copyright laws can lead

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Thu Oct 11 15:28:15 EDT 2012

First of all let me say that the LAW-IS-THE-LAW and I don't try to steal
intellectual property. I tell my friends "just because it's easy, doesn't
make it legal".
That being said, I don't feel sorry for the record companies or artists at
all. The cigar smoking old school record company execs and the lazy one hit
wonder musicians missed the digital bus by trying to hold on to the gravy
train of the past.

The gravy train explained:
I bought the song Revolution by the Beatles on a 45 rpm record and pay the
royalties(1)
I then buy the vinyl album and pay royalties again(2)
Get it on 8 track(3)
Get it on cassette(4)
CD(5)
DVD anthology(6)

As I see it I paid the royalties 6 times. I should have paid it only the
first time and just paid the media costs going forward. I would even have
turned in the old copies.

Just because you have 1 great album you shouldn't be able to live off all
the media changing royalties for the rest of you and your kids life. Now
that's stealing from the public.

To put this into perspective.....We write SW. When new technology comes out
we can't expect the user to re-pay us just because they get a new PC/Mac.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
rdimola at evergreeninfo.net