Quicktime problems on windows

Klaus on-rev klaus at major.on-rev.com
Wed Oct 10 12:15:01 EDT 2012

Hi Tiemo,

Am 10.10.2012 um 17:57 schrieb "Tiemo Hollmann TB" <toolbook at kestner.de>:

> Hi,
>
> from time to time I have customers who have problems with playing my QT
> videos in my LC program on windows machines. The video window just stays
> black, or gets half transparent or other of these kind of weird phenomena's.
> In almost all cases I could solve the problems by uninstalling and
> reinstalling quicktime. Sometimes it had to be done up to three times (yes,
> with admin users, newest driver of the graphic adapter, etc.) until
> quicktime was ready to work on a windows machine. In some cases even the
> hardware acceleration of the graphic adapter had to be switched off.
>
> Now I had a customer with a 3 month brand new computer W7,64Bit, where
> everything failed until the customer found out by incident to start my LC
> 4.6 program in XP compatibility mode, which was the only way to get
> quicktime with LC to life.
>
> Do you have other hints and tricks, what to look for with QT problems on
> windows and do you have any idea what could cause QT to run, when LC runs in
> XP mode?
>
> Thanks for sharing your experiences

I'm afraid you cannot do much about this! :-/

Problem 1: There is no 64bit Quicktime for Windows!
Problem 2: The days of Quicktime for Windows are definitively counted***,
so I doubt there will ever be a 64bit version!

***As I already wrote a couple of times here, I read in the "Read Me" of the latest
iTunes for Windows:
Hint: iTunes does not install nor need Quicktime anymore!
Ouch!

So it is more than time for RunRev to find/develop/implement another multimedia
playback engine for crossplatform compatibility in the near future!

> Tiemo

Best

Klaus

--