Cannot build a standalone application

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Oct 9 10:38:40 EDT 2012

Mark Schonewille wrote:

 > This worries me. I have a feeling that LiveCode never works with
 > state-of-the-art technology but that I'm always be using tools
 > that are obsolete already. When 5.6 or 6.0 appears, we'll have a
 > new version of XCode already as well as a new version of Android
 > and again we'll be using old technology. It is one of the reasons
 > why I'm very reluctant buying upgrades.

I think this is just inherent in the nature of RAD tools like LiveCode,
or any sufficiently complex system dependent on another.  We've seen
this with all OSes since the engine was first born in '92:  the RunRev
team works with betas of any new OS, the OS gets released, RunRev is
then able to finish their updates, and we get the update for the new OS
after the OS release.

The alternative is to code in Objective C.

Each has its advantages and disadvantages.  Choose your poison. ;)

If you're Roxio, it makes sense to code in C.  If you're like most
LiveCoders, you're making so much more money with your desktop apps that
you can afford to wait to update your mobile apps.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World