[OT] Girls Don't Code??

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Fri Oct 5 18:59:33 EDT 2012

On Oct 5, 2012, at 3:24 PM, Matthias Rebbe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> did i already mention, that i am doing the complete cooking / baking here in our household. And i love it. And my wife is happy that she doesn´t need to do it, because she hates it.
>
> Should i be concerned? ;)
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthias

Not a bit. I would no more approve that anyone force some observed social tendencies on an individual, than I would attempt to force any one gender to adopt the tendencies of another. My only point was that the reason there is a 10 to 1 ratio of men to women when it comes to software development is that this is how the tendencies seem to sway us. Others disagree you can certainly guess.

I am encouraged however that no one has yet to put forward that the perceived pressure of social norms are entirely the cause of the disparity. Someone might come up with an idea about how to change that. I think it would prove to be disastrous on a large scale.

BTW I love to cook! I don't actually think cooking is one of those things that tends to go either way. I just wish I were better at it. I tried to make my own cheese sauce the other day and ended up with curds and whey!

Bob