command-click on a word

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Mon Oct 1 13:34:10 EDT 2012

I'm not writing to complain about an absent feature. Mostly just curious, and maybe I'll learn something useful.

In recent years, I've come to take it for granted that I can hilite a word and command-click on it to get a pop-up dialog box with items like "cut" "copy" "look up in dictionary" and so on. The specific items depend on the application, but the dialog box usually looks the same.

A few minutes ago, I tried this in a text field an a LC stack and thought, "Hey, why doesn't that work!?" Then I remembered that LC doesn't do that, as far as I know. Yet I have the impression that this is an OS function that any application could invoke.

So, my question: Is this an OS function? If so, why doesn't LC take advantage of it?

I suppose it could be scripted. Is there an LC add-on that conveniently adds this functionality? Or maybe there's a simple LC command I don't know about?

Cheers,

Tim