"answer folder" ignores ~/Library

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Oct 1 12:38:51 EDT 2012

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > In the past when Apple did something that raised people's eyebrows,
 > almost always we found that there was some command or preference that
 > would make it work like we wanted. Not this time.

Most of the money I and my clients make from LiveCode is from sales to
customers running Windows, which isn't surprising since MS still has
about 87% of the desktop market.

For most of those years I had the smug satisfaction of making our
Windows-funded software on Mac.  In LiveCode this isn't hard to do as
long as you're willing to spend some time now and then testing and
tweaking on each of the target OSes you're deploying to.

With LiveCode you can develop on whichever you OS you prefer, and as
long as OS X was a flexible and faithful servant it was where I was
having the most fun, so it's where I did most of my development.

But as you noted, in recent versions OS X has become more strict, less
able to work the way I want it to work and more of it expecting me to
conform to its expectations.

When people ask me why I use Ubuntu as much as I do these days, this is
why:

With Ubuntu I have the flexibility I used to enjoy with OS X, and more
so.  I can set it up however I like and it conforms to my wishes, not
the other way around.

So I'm still making most of my money from Windows, I've just changed
which minority OS I use to develop for Windows on. :)

Whether the OS I'm using is also used by 10% of the market or 5% doesn't
matter to me.  What matters to me is that it does what I ask it to do.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World