Storing location for a preferences file in a standalone stack?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Oct 1 12:30:29 EDT 2012

This is true, however, other processes can elevate their privileges by authenticating through a user/password dialog. Installers do this all the time. What he is really asking for is a way to invoke the authentication dialog built into the system, and then apply those privileges to his LC app.

This has been discussed before. The only way to get the dialog is through an API in the SDK from Apple, and LC does not have access to that. There are forum posts you can search for talking about ways to get the terminal to do it, but I do not think that the privileges will apply to the LC app.

This is really something I would like to see as an enhancement to LC, especially given the current state of OS X and Windows. We need a way to prompt the user for privilege escalation. I believe there is a feature request in the QA about this. Vote it up if you find it.

Bob