Bug or just something you can't do ?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Oct 1 06:49:14 EDT 2012

Thanks Mark - that's a great solution for a one-liner, or even for a 2-
or 3- liner, but not practical for a real=life, multi-line handler.

(And as a purist I'd mention that it implements call-by-name not
call-by-reference, to the sound of Algol reference papers 'thunk'ing
onto my desk :-)

See the result of
> on mouseUp
>    local X, J
>    put 1 into J
>    put 1 into x[1]
>    put 7 into X[2]
>    inc "x[J]", "J" // use quotes instead of @
>    put x[1] && x[2]
> end mouseUp
>
> on inc x, t
>    local myContext
>
>    put line -1 of the executionContexts into myContext
>    set the debugContext to line -2 of the executionContexts
>    debugDo ("add 1 to" && t)
>    debugDo ("add 1 to" && x)
>    set the debugContext to myContext
> end inc
call-by-ref would have given "2 7" but here we get "1 8"

Thanks again
-- Alex.