"keyedUp" cross-platform woes

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 11:44:54 EST 2012

On 30/11/12 15:18, Richmond wrote:
> Now the ALT-KEY yields a "magic number" (keyDown) number
> on Windows and Linux, and that's fine and dandy, but, as has been
> pointed out several times, both
> by myself and others, that doesn't happen on a Mac and Livecode seems
> unable to work out when
> the ALT-KEY is down . . .
>
> . . . just wondering whether, despite that, the ALT-KEY does actually
> have a unicode number
> on a Mac?

The soup thickens . . .

So: Macintosh does NOT return a rawKeyDown code for modifier keys,

BUT

Macintosh does show that a modifier key is pressed when a button (or
other object) gets
a mouseDown or a mouseUp:

on mouseUp
    if the altKey is down then
      do something
    end if
end mouseUp

keysDown doesn't give any joy with modifier keys on Macintosh.

and I've written the substance of this before:

as modifier keys modify keyboard input on Macintosh computers (just as
they do on
non-Mac computers running other operating systems) the OS, obviously,
does detect
those keyDowns . . .

So, why is Livecode able to detect modifier rawKeyDowns on Windows and
Linux,
but is quite unable to detect modifier rawKeyDowns on Macintosh?