[OT] WWII code 'may never be cracked'

Peter M. Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 09:38:33 EST 2012

On Nov 24, 2012, at 2:34 AM, Richmond wrote:

> On 11/24/2012 12:25 AM, Peter Haworth wrote:
>> Kinda looks like the Scottish dialect in your earlier post!
>
> I was always led to belive that English was a dialect of Scots!  . . . .  LOL
>
> Although, seriously, I find these sorts of codes fascinating, and wonder whether, as long
> as it didn't use a properly randomised one-time code, that AOAKN and the numbers might not
> constitute the key.

No cryptographer would include a key as part of a message, so the AOAKN and numbers are likely something else. The 5-letter groups are standard for older encryptions, as a way of removing word length as a clue to the open text. If this was a WWII code, then it might well be based on an Enigma type strategy, and a message this short would be pretty unbreakable. Perhaps someone from the old days will recognize something that will tell us otherwise.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig