it and explicitVar?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Nov 23 15:07:01 EST 2012

Ben Rubinstein wrote:
> On 23/11/2012 15:14, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> With explicitVars set to true, all scripts in memory during the session
>> must have been written with that relatively-recent addition to the language
>> in mind
>
> Well, "relatively-recent" is... relative, I suppose.  I'm not sure when
> explicitVars was added to to Metatalk - Google shows several mentions of it by
> Scott Raney in 1997, including a note that it's "SuperCard compatible" - and
> certainly it was in SuperTalk no later than 1994, but I've no idea whether it
> was new or whether is was in v1.0 in 1989.  So it's true that it might be less
> than 20 years old!

Some of us have been doing this a while.  Time flies. :)

I tend to think of it as a recent addition because it wasn't until
RunRev altered its use in their IDE that it became useful.

The impact of the explicitVars global property is so great that almost
no one in the SC world used it much, and HyperCard, Toolbook, OMO, Plus,
Gain Momentum, or any of the other xTalks ever bothered with it at all.

With RunRev's more limited use introduced just a few years ago, the
scope of impact is now small enough that it can be a sensible addition
to a programmer's workflow without breaking from the traditional nature
and history of xTalk for every script one might want to use.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World