Visual Effect Problem in LC5.5.3

Randy Hengst iowahengst at mac.com
Sat Nov 10 16:02:23 EST 2012

Hi All,

I've just finished updating to LC 5.5.3 and Xcode 4.5.2. I have been made aware of apps crashing on the new iPad… that's my reason for updating.

I've been using LC 5.5.1 with Xcode 4.4.1 successfully with builds for iOS 6 and 6.0.1

As I've been working to fix the apps for the new iPad I've seen the same problem Celeste Helling mentioned in an earlier thread about visual effects. I can build apps that load and work on an iPad 3 with 5.5.3

I can open an app in 5.5.1 and test it… the effects work just fine in the simulator. I open the same app in 5.5.3 and the visual effects do not work… in the simulator or on an iPad 3. The catch is, in some of my apps the visual effects work as expected using 5.5.3. In some only the initial effect is "broken." In one app the visual effect on the iPad screen functions as if it is an effect for an iPod.

I've not been able to find a pattern that helps me fix the issue. That leads me to think it's a bug in 5.5.3. But, I wanted to check with folks to see what they have found.

The problem shows itself in the 5.1 and 6.0 simulator with LC 5.5.3.

Here is the script … in a button. It's the same script in all apps….

on mouseUp

   switch (word 1 of the machine)
      case "iPod"
      case "iPhone"