Protecting stacks

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Nov 2 21:50:57 EDT 2012

On 11/2/12 7:19 PM, Mark Schonewille wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> You can protect stacks with a password, as Ralph suggested.
>
> Basically you can't prevent anyone from opening your stack in the IDE
> and copying all the text, if your stack isn't part of a standalone,
> and even if it is part of a standalone it isn't too difficult to
> detach the stack and save it as a stackfile again.

Actually, with the newer file formats, that isn't easily possible any
more. In fact, the RR team had some trouble doing it themselves.

> There are also ways to open an additional stack in a standalone and
> run a script in that stack to copy all the text and image objects
> from your stack, even if it is password protected. Such a script
> could also save stacks and substacks as separate files. Only the
> scripts are effectively protected.

For this project I'd make sure there were no separate stacks in the
project. If there are any substacks, they should all be part of a single
stackfile that is the compiled app. All stacks should be password
protected so that the text isn't visible in a plain text editor.

For the copy/paste issue, I'd omit or block those actions in the scripts
and menus. I'd also set locktext to true, and traversalOn and
autohiliting to false, on all fields so text cannot be selected at all.
I think that should lock things down pretty well.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com