Transitions

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Nov 2 14:31:13 EDT 2012

On 11/2/12 12:22 PM, info at multimedial.de wrote:

> I am after all the original iOS screen transistions like push left
> and push right etc.

These are available.

> Despite the example inserted in some of the mobGUI example code, i
> still haven't figured out the correct steps to do this.
>
> Do I need to lock the screen before doing a transition and then
> unlock again?
>
> Is there no shorter,quicker way?

Sometimes you need to do it that way, sometimes just issuing the visual
effects command is enough. The engine stores the effects and doesn't
implement them until the next redraw, or until you tell it to. See the
"visual" entry in the dictionary where there are examples and an
explanation.

Usually this will work:

visual effect push left
go next card

> (That last "very fast" part always cracks me up - quick,hurry up with
> that transition! Apparently there is also no difference when you
> leave that part out...)

"Very fast" translates to "as fast as this CPU can render". The other
speeds are based on more standardized timings. The syntax is a
descendent of HyperCard and remains to this day. If you see no
difference between "fast" and "very fast" then your CPU is probably
pretty fast to begin with. When the syntax first appeared 20 years ago,
"fast" took much longer on an old Mac.

> I tried several variations of this but some of the mobGUI elements
> stayed on the screen (like in direct-to-screen mode in Director) or
> it didn't work at all.

The correct syntax is now "lock screen for visual effect". If you only
use "lock screen" then no visual effect will happen. This change was
implemented recently at the same time as accelerated rendering, and it
tells the engine to create an off-screen buffer.

This should work:

lock screen for visual effect
go next card
unlock screen with visual effect push left very fast

BTW, 10 or 15 years ago I was specifically instructed not to put
quotation marks around visual effects and the docs still show them that
way. However I do see a lot of people doing that now and the engine
seems to be okay with it, so maybe the rules changed. But if it isn't
working for you, take them out.

> Also. IOS provides so-called "modal" windows which are shown using
> top-down animations or modal dialogs which come up from bottom to
> top...
>
> I guess there is no such thing to be done in LC,right?

Not at this time. Things keep getting added though so you never know.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com