Nuts! Where did that go? WTH!

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu May 31 13:55:02 EDT 2012

On 5/31/12 11:33 AM, Mark Rauterkus wrote:

> I was in the debugger and tried to make a test button with a mouse up
> line that was "copy card" -- and the dictionary or debugger froze.
>
> Restart the computer and the whole project is gone.
>
> I can't even find a broken icon.

If you have never saved the stack at all, it existed only in RAM and
when you quit LC it will be gone. Like others, I save compulsively after
every change I want to keep. That said, what you describe is rare, but
it has happened to me occasionally that the debugger will freeze.

> Recovery?
>
> And, why don't the other test stack show up in the folder too?

During a normal save, LiveCode duplicates the original stack and renames
it with a tilde in front of the name. If the save is successful it
deletes the tilde-named original. If not, you can retrieve the original
(without saved changes) by looking for a same-named file that starts
with "~".

If a crash happens that isn't during a save, you should be able to find
the stack wherever you last saved it, without any updates of course. It
sounds like you never saved at all, so yes, it's gone.

> Could the work have been done in a substack and I just can't get to
> it? Looking everywhere.

Saving will save the entire stack file; that is, the main stack and all
its substacks. They are a single file on disk, so if you were in a
substack it wouldn't matter, everything gets saved. Note there is a
difference between a substack and an independent stack on disk that your
main stack may have opened; some people refer to both as "substacks" but
that isn't right. A substack is always part of the same file on disk as
the main stack.

> As I see 'recently opened' with WIN it shows a test2 LC stack that was
> opened a few hours ago. BUT, when I click there it says the file can't
> be found.

I think that menu item lists all stacks that were ever opened, but does
not discriminate between files on disk and new stacks that were created
but not saved.

> What do you do with your development so you don't crash and kill a day
> of work? Is this to be expected?

What you describe is rare but it does happen. Most of us have the habit
of saving all the time. There is a plugin that ships with LiveCode that
will auto-save your work at intervals you specify. Look in the
Development menu -> Plugins -> revSmartSave. While you are learning,
that might be a good thing to try.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com