Upgrade to Lion

Paul Looney simplsol at aol.com
Tue May 29 20:45:39 EDT 2012

Stephen, Jacque,

You kids and your new toys!
My daily driver is an 1984 MB 300D - with 514,000 miles (830,000 k). Runs fine, a joy to drive. Would not hesitate to take it again to Maine, or Florida, or British Columbia, or Iowa or... any of the other places it's been.

I AM (proudly) old and I don't change much (wear 40 year old shoes, live in a 102 year old house, been married for almost 40 years to the same person (in California!) but...
I like Lion.

I put it on a partition with Snow Leopard on the other partition. After about a month, I never went back to SN.
When I installed Lion I decided to try using the default settings. It was a major adjustment - but it worked and I'm glade I made that commitment.

The two most difficult changes for me were:
1. the "reverse" scrolling and
2. the auto-saving

Re: #1 I'm with Francois on this.
I started with Mac OS on a pre-release 128 "k" (yes, "k") back in 1983. At the time, the scrolling seemed to be backwards - but I got used to it.
The Lion scrolling transition was more difficult because I have two 17" laptops on my desk, one with Tiger and the other with Lion. And they now scroll opposite directions. Wish I could change the Tiger computer.

Re: #2 I love it!
One of the things I liked about HyperCard.
One of the aggravations about LiveCode - sometimes autosaves (changing color, repositioning, etc.) and other times does not.
I'd much rather re-enter something after changing my mind than lose something because I forgot to save. But maybe I'm just more absent-minded than others. Which reminds me, I like TimeMachine, too.

As for Apple:
I've been using their products for almost three decades. They don't listen to me. Never have. It's annoying.
But Apple doesn't look back, or sideways. They decide where to go, and go there; past be damned. I understand they have a quote from Henry Ford in the lobby "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."
Look at all the care Microsoft took to make their tablet attempts compatible with their Windows desktop OS. Very considerate. 15 years of crappy tablets. Apple ignored their competition, customers, current products - and we have the iPad.

I try not to judge things by whether they are different but by whether they are better. For my use Lion is the best OS I've had on a computer.

Paul Looney