Upgrade to Lion

Igor de Oliveira Couto igor at superstudent.net
Tue May 29 20:30:06 EDT 2012

I've noticed some people complaining about Time Machine in this thread.

On 30/05/2012, at 6:01 AM, François Chaplais wrote:

[...]

> about time machine: yes, it can be a plague.

[...]

I have to say, Time Machine has saved my skin twice already. First time, a visiting cousin accidentally dropped a full cup of tea on my MacBook. This was during breakfast on a Saturday morning. I had to present something to the client on Monday morning, and was planning on working the whole weekend to do it. While my cousin was still half in tears apologising, I jumped in the car, went to the nearest Apple Store and bought a new MacBook. Got home, and because of Time Machine, had all my work back by lunch.

The second time I was caught at work. It was in the middle of the afternoon, I was halfway through developing a messy, complicated database with a couple of colleagues, and all the design and sql files were in my computer. The stupid thing just died. Kaput, the hard drive was gone, just like that - as they usually do - with no warnings or explanations. Again, Time Machine came to the rescue, and I was back up and running in a couple of hours.

Before the days of Time Machine, we used to have Retrospect in our office, backing up to external drives. Let me assure you: recovering your lost work was *never* this easy.

So, in my case, I am quite thankful for Time Machine.

--
Igor Couto
Sydney, Australia