Upgrade to Lion

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue May 29 09:05:13 EDT 2012

stephen barncard wrote:
> Maybe this doesn't affect *your* Save methodology, but it affects *mine*. The
> Macintosh used to be about having several ways to accomplish a task, now we
> are confronted with fewer choices, THEIR choices. That's my problem with
> what's happening to the OS.
>
> When I save an audio or video file, I don't want to depend on ANY stupid
> database to put pieces together. I can see NO advantage to this.

Maybe you're forgetting the poor starving RAM vendors. :)

I've been reading your posts about Lion with a smile here, not from
schadenfreude but merely commiseration.

I like many details of the look of Lion, but that's where any admiration
ends for me.

Beyond all the "back to the Mac" stuff (i.e., "the iOSification of Mac
OS", the attempt to reduce the power and flexibility of a workstation OS
to the capabilities of a handheld device), Lion is the biggest RAM hog
I've ever seen of any the OSes I've ever used.  If they're fixated on
bringing elements from iOS to OS X, why not start with efficient
resource usage?

4 GB is barely enough to get by; the 2 GBs I've been using for most
other systems, including previous versions of OS X, isn't enough for any
but the most trivial workflows.

The resource wastage is so severe that at first I thought it was
something unique to my system, but after reading a few hundred comments
in the Apple support forums I've come to realize that I'm not alone at
all.  Lion is just a pig.

When we add that piggishness to the wide range of annoyances from the
system making decisions for us that we're quite able to make on our own,
Lion adds up to a far-less-than-stellar experience.

Like Mark Schonewille, Lion is one of the reasons I'm spending more time
with other OSes.

I don't really have anything helpful to add here in terms of coping with
the "upgrade"; just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World