Upgrade to Lion

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Mon May 28 12:49:14 EDT 2012

On May 28, 2012, at 9:35 AM, Peter Haworth wrote:

> I just upgraded to Lion a couple of days ago.  I thought I was suffering
> from a bout of color blindness initially but then realised that Apple made
> up for all that drab greyness but displaying lots more of of those pretty
> colored, spinning beachballs. I'm guessing Lion needs more RAM for some
> reason.
Lion does need more RAM.

> I remember previous posts about this, but I miss the Save As ability.  It
> seems that it's not totally disallowed in Lion since the LC Save As is
> still there, but none of the Apple apps have it any more, at least the ones
> I've tried (Garageband being the main one).  Is the concensus that Apple
> will not permit a Save As action at some point in the future, like maybe
> for apps submitted to the Mac App Store?
It puts you in a different workflow. "Save as" lets you work on things first and then only save when you are happy with the results. But you have to remember to save.

The new "versions" workflow assumes you are already invested in the document but might have different versions of it that you are working with. But it is less accommodating for people who want to do "funny things" with the document.

The new way is more modern as it helps the computer get out of the way for commonly done things. It takes some getting used to after 30+ years of working the old way.

Bill Vlahos