[OT] Apple Rant

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Sat May 26 00:45:03 EDT 2012

Having a great Friday evening thanks to Apple.

Still in the throes of dealing with Apple Store submission for my app.  TO
register it, I have to upload at least one screenshot (why?).  No problem,
I have several created with the OS X ability to take screen shots and save
them on disk, used them for my web site.  Unfortunately, they're not
acceptable for upload to the Apple store according to the error message I
got - either wrong format, wrong resolution or wrong color scheme.  So
apparently screen shots made with Apples's own OS are not acceptable to the
Apple Store.

So I give up on that and think, OK, let's watch a movie through my new
AppleTV box.  Already watched several NetFlix movies with no problem.
 Ordered a movie.  After I've paid for it, I'm told a) it's only available
to watch for 24 hours, and b) it's gonna take nearly 6 hours to download.
 Leaving town tomorrow so no way I can watch this movie. How come NetFlix
can automatically adjust their download resolution to my Internet
connection speed but Apple can't?

Tried adjusting the AppleTV settings to a lower resolution - doesn''t
affect downloads already in progress and no way to cancel the download.
 Look for a phone number to cancel the order.  No phone number available.

Go to iTunes Store support on the web.  Everything is at snail's pace
because the movie download is taking over all my bandwidth.  Unplug the
AppleTV box.

Select "Express Lane" support, then AppleTV.  Get a web page headed Problem
Description with no enterable fields (this is using Safari, Apple's own web
browser).  Click the link for Exprsss Lane Support and get a web page that
lets me actually enter something;... you don't want to see what I had to
say.

Next week - gotta deal with sandboxing, Apple's answer to a problem that
hardly exists on Macs.  And I'm willing to fork over 30% of whatever sales
I make on the Apple Store for what?

Time for a goodnight glass of single mat Scotch - Glenfaclas 105, you can't
beat it

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>