Standalone problem

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri May 25 23:25:08 EDT 2012

On 5/25/12 7:20 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:
> Jacque,
> Bit late on this but I've just successfully built an external( whooppee!)
> and am now left with the task of installing it in the correct place.

Congrats. :) I know it was a difficult trek. I've never had to deal with
any of that, and I don't think I want to.

> I really don;t know what purpose the Externals.txt file
> serves and the newsletter article doesn't explain it

I always assumed the IDE reads that file so it knows what externals to
load at launch. Presumably that would avoid problems if some of the
files in the folder aren't really externals, or if some should be
intentionally excluded. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

> My question is, if I do what is suggested in the newsletter article, will
> the IDE and whatever standalone I build find the external OK or do I still
> have to take the steps you outlined in your post?

Short answer: yes, you need to manage standalones. The newsletter
article is about using externals in the IDE but doesn't apply to
standalones. Once the app is built it's on its own, and it needs to know
how to find the files. So do that by either hard-coding a relative path
in the inspector ("Externals/myexternal.bundle") or by setting the
externals property in a startup handler.

I'm not sure the IDE will know to build the standalone with your
external, even if it's in the proper location where the IDE can find it.
There's no interface in the SB where you can specify a custom external
(though maybe "search for inclusions" will work; I never use that.) I
suspect you'll have to copy it into the app bundle manually after the
standalone is built.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com