what should be done with MobGUI?

Colin Holgate coiin at verizon.net
Fri May 25 11:11:30 EDT 2012

What Richard says about native controls being best is true, and that simulating the look of controls is not as good. But that's only half of what MobGUI does. The more useful half is that you can use regular LiveCode objects as placeholders for what will be a native control later. MobGUI has a browser, scroller, text input, multiline text, and media player native iOS controls. It doesn't have some Android controls, I'm not sure if they are native, but certainly the browser one isn't there.

At runtime there isn't really any advantage of using MobGUI placed native controls rather than doing it all with code, but it's convenient to be able to place and size controls rather than trial and error plugging in values, or doing your own variation of what MobGUI does, to use avatars for where the controls will appear. For me writing about it in a book, it saved a lot of pages to just use MobGUI. The chapter wasn't about MobGUI, it showed a bunch of other things.

Thinking about it, one option I have is to show how you would get the Android native browser going using just code, then I could get an Android looking screenshot.

Andreas, there is an appendix chapter that shows many of the mobile related add-ons for LiveCode. I emailed here to get suggestions of what to include, and from what I can see nobody mentioned iPhoneControlKit. Do you have URLs to information on it that don't contain an IP address? Or is that a certain permanent IP value? I should be able to add it to the appendix, especially if one of the reviewers puts in a comment about how I should include it!