LiveCode-HyperCard XCMD's

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri May 18 01:53:37 EDT 2012

On 18/05/12 08:38, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 5/18/12 12:14 AM, Richmond wrote:

>>> Save it in the oldest legacy format (2.4) and run it with the
>>> last-available classic engine.
>>>

>> I would be jolly nice if RunRev could make the last classic version (or
>> at least standalone builder)
>> available to those of us who have mislaid our versions 1.1.1. and 2.0.1.
>
> Version 4.0, looks like. If you had a valid license for that version,
> you can redownload it. If it isn't in your store account, ask support
> for a download link.

I have version 4.0 from the Edinburgh conference; to be honest (and I am
at work where I only have access to RunRev 2.2.1 free for Linux) I seem
to remember that although the standalone had a setting for a Mac OS 9,
a.k.a. "Classic" build, it was wonky in some way.

Unfortunately I seem to have mislaid RR 2.0.1 which is, to my mind, the
version that built Mac OS 9
standalones with a minimum of hiccups.

I am currently negotiating to get 3 slot-loading G3 iMacs shipped to me
that a university who have asked not to be named had kept, brand new, in
boxes for some 10 years, until I wrote to them asking if they were
"still in that cupboard": as they have fairly low RAM specs I am
wondering if I might be better to run them on OS 9 rather than OS 10.4
(the last Mac OS one can use on a slot-loading G3 iMac).

I am also in touch with a co-student of mine who is running some sort of
tin-shack school in Botswana
and has had a whole lot of tray-loading G3 iMacs dumped on him; he has
got them up and running
with Mac OS 9, and I should very much like to give him Classic
standalone versions of all the EFL
stuff I have developed for use in my school here in Bulgaria.

I cannot see why RunRev should object to releasing old versions of
RR/LC; certainly anybody building
standalones for Mac Classic (me, myself and I ???) cannot be said, by
downloading old versions, to
be eating into the profits of RunRev as current versions of LC don't
build Classic standalones (and,
I suppose, very soon, they will stop building PPC standalones).

I have mentioned this possibility here and elsewhere quite a few times,
without any response whatsoever from RunRev.

Richmond.