[OT] Was: Windows Metro

Peter M. Brigham, MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Thu May 17 08:24:01 EDT 2012

On May 15, 2012, at 10:06 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 5/15/12 6:21 PM, Igor de Oliveira Couto wrote:
>> On 16/05/2012, at 8:40 AM, Peter Haworth wrote:
>>
>>> Ah, another conspiracy theorist I see!
>>
>> All conspiracy theories aside, there *is* something to be said about giving Google, Facebook et al less of your personal information:
>>
>> http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_pariser_beware_online_filter_bubbles.html
>
> All the more reason to use duckduckgo.com.

Nice that they don't "filter or bubble" but their search algorithms are different from Google's, which rank primarily by the number of links to each site from other pages, ie, a measure of the crowd's assessment of importance/interest. Duckduckgo.com's results seem to favor larger "official" sites. Maybe I'm biased: my webpage on bipolar psychopharmacology has been at the top of the results list on a Google search for "bipolar psychopharmacology" for a number of years now, apparently because it is linked to by many pages, but it doesn't appear on duckduckgo's results until you go way deep.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig