CSV again.

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed May 16 18:00:46 EDT 2012

On 16/05/2012 00:35, Peter Haworth wrote:
> Thanks Alex.
>
> I ran the same data though your new handler and it seems to have worked
> fine.
>
> There was a recent discussion on some of these corner case issues on the
> sqlite list so I'll go grab their test cases and see what happens.
>
> As far as performance, the new handler took approx 2 1/2 times longer than
> the CSV3 version on my 48k rows/17 columns dataset, but that's still only
> about 1 second so definitely not a concern as mentioned previously.

I tried it out with this new test data. It has the odd characteristic of
having partially quoted strings within the cell content; I've adjusted
the script to allow for that (by removing one logic check). I've also
added a line to add an extra empty item at the end of a line whenever
the last item is already empty (i.e. to deal with Livecode's method of
ignoring blank trailing items).

With these changes, csv4Tab() gets same results as the original
csv2Tab() did, and they fit with what I think is correct for this
strange data set :-)

Performance is still better than csv2Tab was, but sadly not as quick as
(the incorrect) csv3Tab was.

-- Alex.