tilde after .rev in file name

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon May 14 15:10:04 EDT 2012

On 05/14/2012 09:52 PM, Timothy Miller wrote:
> Something bad happened to one of my stacks. I wasn't doing anything unusual. (Nor was the stack, or LiveCode. My wife might have been doing something unusual in the next room.)
>
> I did have a number of applications running at the same time, and I only have 2 GB of physical RAM.

What on earth were you doing that needed so much RAM, apart from massive
3D-graphic rendering  and/or movie-imports?

Or, put it another way; have you got such a resource-hungry operating
system that it leaves you with hardly any RAM for
anything else?

>   It might have been maxed. This could have caused a problem. Normally, I try to avoid running out of physical RAM.
>
> I closed, quit, tried to re-open, got a "corrupted" message. Some version of the stack got saved, missing half of its megabytes. I shut down, re-booted, noticed that the file name had a tilde after it. Didn't know why. Had I bumped the keyboard and added the tilde inadvertently? (Seemed unlikely.)
>
> I removed the tilde. The stack opens and runs okay now. I wrote a script that goes to each card, with screen and messages unlocked. It seems okay.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1-How did the tilde get there? Did liveCode do it, the OS, or my elbow?

As far as I know, when you save a stack, it saves as .rev~ and then
replaces the previous one (ending .rev). This is very useful
in the sort of situation you have described, when your system crashes or
starts playing "silly bu**ers", because you can recover
your work from the .rev~ file.

Just for fun try this: open a fairly large stack, and save it into an
open window on your desktop (i.e. so you can see it), then
modify the stack and resave it; and I think you will see, at one point,
2 stacks: 'XXX.rev' and 'XXX.rev~' during the save process.

> 2-Given the foregoing is it safe to continue using this stack and adding new content to it? (With some inconvenience, I could revert to an older backup of the same stack.)

Consider the .rev~ file a backup and carry on.