tilde after .rev in file name

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Mon May 14 14:52:00 EDT 2012

Something bad happened to one of my stacks. I wasn't doing anything unusual. (Nor was the stack, or LiveCode. My wife might have been doing something unusual in the next room.)

I did have a number of applications running at the same time, and I only have 2 GB of physical RAM. It might have been maxed. This could have caused a problem. Normally, I try to avoid running out of physical RAM.

I closed, quit, tried to re-open, got a "corrupted" message. Some version of the stack got saved, missing half of its megabytes. I shut down, re-booted, noticed that the file name had a tilde after it. Didn't know why. Had I bumped the keyboard and added the tilde inadvertently? (Seemed unlikely.)

I removed the tilde. The stack opens and runs okay now. I wrote a script that goes to each card, with screen and messages unlocked. It seems okay.

Two questions:

1-How did the tilde get there? Did liveCode do it, the OS, or my elbow?

2-Given the foregoing is it safe to continue using this stack and adding new content to it? (With some inconvenience, I could revert to an older backup of the same stack.)

Thanks in advance,

Tim