[OT] Mac Beach Ball Party (or welcome to hell, here's your mac)

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Mon May 14 13:36:37 EDT 2012

summary of my 'lost weekend':

1. I finally did a complete 10.7.4 re-install on Sunday.  Installing apple
store* Lion 10.7.4* "on top of" a previous installation worked better, but
still took over 4 minutes to completely boot up. Some applications will
still seem sluggish when starting up. No beachball though. It took about 9
hours to install. Most disturbing on this install is the progress
indicator, telling me 36 hours at first, but later settling into
alternating between 24 and 12. In other words, progress indicators don't
mean squat.

2. A 'fresh' install of 10.7.4 with migrated files will take less than a
minute to completely boot up. Things seem pretty normal now. It took 18
hours for this latest apple store version to install and move all the files
(via migration assistant).   I can imagine it would take a couple of days
if I had a filled 1TB disk and tried to do this.

3. A 'fresh' install of 10.7.4 without migrating my thousands of documents
and hundreds of applications is blindingly fast and boots faster than the
above.

other settings that may help avoid Mr. Beachball and delays:

Turn off the 'size' checkbox and 'show icon preview' in folder prefs, then
click "use as defaults"