Adjusting Edit Menu items

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun May 13 15:37:58 EDT 2012

On 5/13/12 2:27 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:

> What I have so far, which seems to work, is:
>
> - on preOpenCard, check for the clipboard containing text and
> enable/disable Paste accordingly
>
> - a mouseMove handler for any editable fields that checks the selectedtext
> and enables/disables the Edit menu cut/copy/clear items appropriately.
>
> I guess I'm just wondering if mouseMove is the standard way to do this.  I
> wanted to use mouseUp but apparently mouseUp doesn't get sent to unlocked
> text fields.

Typically all the menu settings are adjusted in a mouseDown handler in
the menu group script. It's nearly impossible to track everything as it
happens. Just set up the menus when the user is actually interacting
with them.

On OS X, menu manipulations are slow, so be sure to "lock menus", do the
alterations, and then "unlock menus" in your mousedown script.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com