[OT] Blowing my mind about Linux

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat May 12 07:56:38 EDT 2012

On 05/12/2012 12:30 PM, Dermot Doran wrote:
> An interesting, if somewhat confusing, post, Richmond.  However, I
> would ask you to read a few more books on the holocaust or read the
> Nuremberg trials for a bit more background information on what really
> happened with Jews, Romani, and "undesirable" people in the Nazi zone
> of influence.  I found it just a little bit too simplistic and glib.

You are quite right, and I apologise. I am well
aware what happened; the people were slaughtered.

However, an awful lot of the people who were slaughtered did not stop to
question when
they were told to get on trains for resettlement camps in the East.

Here in Bulgaria there is an extremely interesting situation.

The Bulgarians, under Nazi occupation, prevented Jews and Gypsies from
being deported to the Nazi gas ovens;
supported by the King (who died of poison on return from a meeting with
Hitler).

All well and good....

Until one finds that the same King who stood up for the Jews in Bulgaria
personally signed the order for the deportation
of Jews from parts of what are now Macedonia and Greece which the Nazis
handed over to Bulgaria.

Recently I had a "fight" with some parents of teenagers I teach because
I showed the teenagers half of "Escape from Sobibor",
mainly because 3 daft 15 year olds started telling me that Hitler was "a
great chap". The also were unaware of Hitler's plans
for the Slavs!!!!

The film had  the same salutary effect it had on me the first time I saw
it (about 3 days on highly disturbed sleep).

> However, if I have incorrectly interpreted your remark, please, please
> accept my excuses for this reproach.  I think that everybody should be
> free to make the statements they chose to make so that ideas are in
> the open and can be promoted, analyzed and generally reacted to.
>
> Somewhat off topic, I would recommend that everybody on this forum
> take the opportunity to read Edwin Black's book on IBM and the
> Holocaust.  If you're in computing it is an interesting read.  If you
> are into OLAP or Data Mining it is a "MUST" read.  I have seen very
> little critical reaction to it which leads me to think that it is a
> bit too close to the truth for comfort.
>
> One other thing, Richmond.  When I signed up to this forum I did not
> expect to see such a wide range of interesting topics and views.  Keep
> it coming!
>
> Cheers!!
>
> Dermot.

However; the real thrust of my posting was anent the dangers of
remaining critical, and
hanging onto one's ability to choose.