[OT] Mac Beach Ball Party (or welcome to hell, here's your mac)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri May 11 15:24:58 EDT 2012

On 5/11/12 2:00 PM, stephen barncard wrote:

> My lovely Mac pro is in hell.   Yes I have a lot of apps, and yes I am
> running Lion.
> And that doesn't help either as it insists on loading every app and
> document I had running the last time*.

System prefs -> General -> Restore windows when quitting and re-opening
apps [turn this off]

I never turn off my Mac so I'm not sure if that also works on a restart
but if you haven't unchecked it, it's worth trying. Or just leave your
Mac on all the time, it's meant to be used that way. I only restart
after a system update.

What I hate even more than that, and for which there is NO solution, is
the auto-save that wrecks whatever I'm working on as soon as I make any
temporary change. Whoever made *that* decision is the one I'd like to
track down and torture. There isn't even a Terminal command to get rid
of it. I don't want every single tentative edit to be saved, I want to
decide what's temporary and what should be overwritten. I lost work
yesterday because of this stupid, idiotic behavior and had to go digging
through the Star Wars interface to get back the original, which was
difficult because they ALL LOOK ALIKE if the document is more than one
page long. Don't get me started.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com