rev cgi at Bluehost: libX11.so.6 not found

FORD JR, CURT CFORD at mailbox.sc.edu
Wed May 9 19:01:10 EDT 2012

I'm trying to setup a registration system using the old rev engine (linux) and cgi scripts. The user fills in a form on a web page, clicks a button, and the script should start the engine, do some tasks, and display some information returned by the script.

There are no problems in testing on my site, which is hosted by on-rev - it all works great.

The client is on Bluehost, where we keep getting errors; the webpage shows

and the cPanel error log shows

lccgi: error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Bluehost support has had me install some php pears and add some include_path statements in the php.ini file; this didn't help. I've also tried putting a dummy text file named 'libX11.so.6' in the cgi-bin folder where my script is, and in the php folder, and in the home directory, which also hasn't helped.

One support person suggested the problem was that they have 64-bit libraries, and libX11.so.6 is 32-bit.

Does anyone have experience with a rev cgi at Bluehost? I've spent hours on this & would be grateful for any suggestions..

Curt