SHIFTkey "Fun"

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed May 9 15:32:14 EDT 2012

On 05/09/2012 10:18 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:
> Richmond,
> I don;t know if this helps your application or not but the dictionary says
> that on Macs those keys don't result in rawkeydow, UNLESS another key is
> pressed at the same time.  Not sure if you then get 2 rawkeydown events or
> what.

QUITE!

No, you don't get 2 rawKeyDown events; Livecode can pick up if the
modifier key is DOWN or UP, when a rawKeyDown (or a rawKeyUp)
signal is passed from one of the other {i.e. non-modifier} keys.

This whole thing is a pox, as I don't have this problem with Windows or
Linux (because Livecode detects a MOD-keydown as
a rawKeyDown and spits out a Unicode value).

The thing that interests me here is that, in Mac OS 7,8,9, 10.2 there
was a program called 'Keycaps' which was quite capable of detecting
when a SHIFT key was pressed whether another key was pressed or not.
This SHOULD mean that somewhere "in the plumbing of Mac OS" some sort of
rawKey signals are generated.

As Mac OS 10 is a highly modified front-end floating on top of some sort
of UNIX, and UNIX behaves reasonably similarly to LINUX
I cannot quite see why Livecode is unable to pick up rawKeyDowns for the
modifier keys.

I cannot recall whether Livecode (aka RunRev) could pick up rawKeyDowns
in its Mac "Classic" incarnations or not.