Named Parameters

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat May 5 13:02:57 EDT 2012

Peter Haworth wrote:
> I also learned something new - that there's a limit to the amount of data
> you can pass in to handlers in parameters.  As far as I know I haven't run
> into that but sounds like it's something that should be checked if there's
> any danger that it could happen in any specific handler.

While there's a limit on the length of a handler name, it's uint2 (64k)
so it's not likely to be exceeded.

In HC and SC there were limits on the number of arguments that could be
passed to a handler, but if there are such limits in LC they're not
listed with the other limits that govern the language.

It may be that the general limit on single-line handling applies to
script lines, which would be uint2.  But that would be a lot of typing
for a single line anyway, and likely so unreadable that it would explain
why no one's ever reported that as a problem.

If such a limit exists, it would likely be for the length of the line,
not any data contained in variables whose names appear in that line.

I regularly pass data far larger than 64k in args, both by reference and
by value, so I know it's bigger than that.

It may be that the only limit is the same as the size of any variable,
uint4 (~4GB).

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World