PayPal IPN & LC - and Beef Stew

Francis Nugent Dixon effendi at wanadoo.fr
Sat May 5 07:39:39 EDT 2012

Hi from Beautiful Brittany,

Jacqueline wrote :

> 2. At least two people prefer that their stew contain beer.

Not beer, Jacqueline,  Guinness (or at least "stout")

In the true spirit of sharing on this forum,
although it may be considered not very LiveCode,
I pass on a recipe for Stew made with Guinness.

2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch chunks
(I buy a cheaper cut with some fat in it. When it is well
cooked, the meat is tender and scrumptious)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
(some people use olive oil, but our country is a hell of
a long way from the Mediterranean !)
2 tablespoons flour
1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
(Use Indonesian Lampung pepper if you can afford it !)
1 pinch cayenne pepper
(a splurge of hot chili sauce will also do the job well)
2 large onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
(I sometimes forego the garlic)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 cups of Guinness (or a good stiff stout)
2 cups thinly sliced carrots

I like to add a tablespoon of Hoisin sauce
(gives a slightly fruity flavour)
If no Hoisin, try a splurge of HP Original sauce

You can add small slices of potatoes. Some of my family
left Ireland after the battle of the Boyne. When you have
been eating only potatoes for more than 500 years, you
tend to look elsewhere ....   :>)

Mix the beef chunks with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, salt, pepper
  and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle over the beef and leave a
few minutes to sink in
Heat the remaining oil in a deep casserole at medium-high
heat (7). Add the beef, and brown on all sides. Add the onions
(and garlic). Stir the tomato paste into a small amount of water
to dilute; pour into the pan and stir to blend. Reduce the heat
to medium, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
Pour 1/2 cup of the beer into the pan, and as it begins to boil
stir often to avoid the residue sticking to the bottom of the
casserole. Pour in the rest of the beer. Cover, reduce heat
and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring often.

Then put it in the fridge, and heat it and eat it tomorrow !

Bon Appetit !

-Francis