[OT] - Google Drive

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri May 4 13:46:57 EDT 2012

On 5/4/12 12:05 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:
> At first glance, it seems pretty much the same as DropBox, with added links
> to any Google Docs documents you may have. 5GB of storage free, $2.49 for
> 25GB.  I believe there's no mobile access yet, but they claim that's coming.
> You gotta feel for the DropBox guys.

That's a good summary. I've signed up but I haven't actually put any
files on it yet. There's an Android app though, so there's mobile access
that way.

I now have Dropbox, SugarSync, and Drive (and iCloud for the iPad
stuff.) Discounting iCloud, the biggest difference I can see is that
SugarSync lets you sync any folder, while Dropbox and Drive only work
with their "special" folder. The difference doesn't bother me much.
Drive seems very similar to Dropbox.

I looked into Box too, a couple of times, because they were offering
such gigantic amounts of free space, but each time I decided against it.
It's pretty much a one-way affair with Box. You can put stuff in but
it's hard to get out. There's no auto-sync unless you subscribe and pay
a fee. Box has some advantages for teams working with files, but for
individuals it didn't seem useful.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com